In 1949, the “Community Memorial” Hospital Association purchased a 33-acre (13 ha) tract in North Seattle.Northwest Hospital opened in 1960, as the city’s northernmost hospital. In 1965 the hospital acquired a radioisotopemagna scanner, and over the rest of the 1960s they established a comprehensive rehabilitation program (1967), an inhalation therapy department (1967), a program for hearing disorders (1968), and a strokecenter (1969). In 1970, they were the first Seattle hospital with a birth clinic offering the use of a single “birth suite” for labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum care.
The 1970s saw physical expansion of the emergency department (1973), the opening of a department of nuclear medicine (1971), and the 1977 establishment of the Northwest Hospital Foundation. Physical expansion continued in the 1980s with a new tower building (1983). In 1985, Northwest Hospital physicians pioneered the ultrasound-guided installation of a radioactive “seed” implant to treat prostate cancer. In 1993 they were the region’s first hospital to offer the non-surgical gamma knife technique of treating brain tumors.