We are recruiting for a new member to become part of a real-time system development and software maintenance team within a research and development engineering group with responsibility for a wide variety of tasks. The primary focus of this team is the development and maintenance of real-time radar control and data acquisition software as well as data analysis and verification tools in support of radar systems. We are looking for engineers who work well in both theoretical and practical domains as part of an iterative process to create innovative solutions for a multitude of software and hardware challenges.
This position requires the following abilities which are usually performed within a lab but also in the field:
- Maintain, overhaul, and modify software associated with radar functionality and data analysis.
- Design new software from stringent requirements.
- Use multiple technologies incorporating: bus architectures (VME, PMC/PCI, etc.), data transmission systems (Fibre Channel, Ethernet, etc.) and associated protocols (TCP/IP, UDP/IP, etc.), general purpose processors (Intel, PPC, etc.) and embedded real-time operating systems (VxWorks, Linux, etc.), and Unix and/or PC-based multi-workstation software/hardware development environments and associated tools (MATLAB, etc.).
- Familiarity with user interface development with WPF using a MVVM pattern and service-oriented approach.
- Conduct software unit as well as system level testing in a lab and on installed systems.
- Prototype software and/or hardware to determine design feasibility.
- Research and select appropriate hardware to provide desired functionality.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the use of in-circuit emulators, logic analyzers, LAN analyzers, serial protocol analyzers, and oscilloscopes.
- Write requirements documents, theories of operation, operations manuals, etc.
- Apply sound system engineering principles.
In a broader sense this position provides software and systems engineering services. The successful candidate:
- Manages software/systems projects and provides guidance to the technical staff.
- Interacts with customers and project managers on a regular basis.
- Uses broad judgment in defining and solving technical or managerial issues of the highest complexity or of far reaching significance.
- Captures and manages customer requirements at a system level and develops and analyzes the most appropriate approach to solve complex technical problems.
- Functions as the System Architect overseeing the overall design and configuration management of systems.
- Develops the design of the system/software and the associated design documentation. Prepares and conducts design reviews.
- Implements the design through software coding or hardware and documents the implementation appropriately.
- Plans and executes unit, integration, and systems testing.
- Manages the maintenance and sustainment activities of the system/software.
- May provide work direction to lower level technical staff.
- Establishes and maintains positive customer relations.
- Supports pursuit of new business efforts, leads proposal efforts, and acts as a technical consultant.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Must have an accredited Bachelor’s degree in an associated discipline and at least 4 years of related embedded software experience.
- Must use superior communications skills, both verbal and written, in day-to-day project activities as well as in briefing customers and in writing reports and proposals.
- Must have demonstrated expertise with computer based systems and applications.
- Must have excellent programming skills in languages used for specific programming tasks (C++, C#, etc.).
- Must have experience in the application of industry standard hardware and software design and documentation techniques.
- Must have extensive knowledge of systems engineering and software development lifecycles.
- Will be required to qualify for and maintain a government security clearance and must have a valid, current state driver’s license.
- The incumbent must have an accredited Bachelor’s degree in an associated discipline and at least 10 years of related embedded software experience, or have an accredited Master’s degree in an associated discipline with at least 6 years of related embedded software experience or have an accredited PhD in an associated discipline with at least 4 years of related embedded software experience.
- Possess a Computer Engineering degree or an Electrical Engineering degree with Computer Science background.
- Experience with digital signal processing (DSP) algorithm and simulation development skills, and a working knowledge of radar principles and their associated digital subsystems.
- Hardware development skills including design, schematic capture, board layout and simulation.
- Possess current TS/SSBI security clearance.
Each employee must read, understand, and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality, and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures, and policies pertaining to his/her job.
This position involves work typical of an office environment with no unusual hazards. There is occasional lifting up to 40 pounds, constant sitting with occasional use of a computer terminal, constant use of sight abilities while reviewing documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, and constant mental alertness. Routine travel to remote Company work locations may be required.